Flyers lines at Rangers: Patrick returns after scare, defensive rotation continues
The Philadelphia Flyers are back in action after three days off. The Flyers kick off their final stretch with a back-to-back set against the Rangers. There are 11 games left in the season and the Flyers have back-to-back days off just once more (May 5th and 6th) this year.
Gilbert: Flyers’ 2021 season has all-too-familiar inconsistent feeling
The Flyers, unfortunately, are using these final 11 games to assess some young players and even some veterans heading into a big offseason. Wade Allison already made quite the impression and Jackson Cates could get his shot soon.
Wade Allison providing a much-needed spark and getting rewarded for it
Jackson Cates likely to play this season; Noah Cates returning to UMD for senior year
Here is the projected Flyers lineup against the Rangers:
Flyers forward lines
Nolan Patrick will return to the lineup one week after taking a puck to the head. He was held out of the two weekend games as a precaution.
Nolan Patrick leaves game after getting hit in head by shot
Patrick will replace Carsen Twarynski on the fourth line.
Claude Giroux – Sean Couturier – Jakub Voracek
Joel Farabee – Kevin Hayes – Wade Allison
James van Riemsdyk – Scott Laughton – Travis Konecny
Oskar Lindblom – Nolan Patrick – Nicolas Aube-Kubel
The top line has the three big guns and the second line has two young wingers with a veteran pivot in Kevin Hayes. Farabee and Allison have been two of the exciting parts of this down season, so it’ll be interesting to see what they can do in another game together.
Follow @RGilbertSOP and @PhillyHockeyNow for lineup updates before and during the game.
Flyers defensive pairs
Philippe Myers will replace Samuel Morin on the third pair.
Ivan Provorov – Justin Braun
Travis Sanheim – Robert Hagg
Shayne Gostisbehere – Philippe Myers
The Flyers’ need for a defenseman in the offseason is evident in these pairs. Justin Braun isn’t a top-pair defenseman and Robert Hagg isn’t a second-pair defenseman. Adding a top-pair guy will help shore things up and put players in their more optimal roles.
Flyers starting goalie
Brian Elliott will start with Alex Lyon backing him up.
Carter Hart is not with the team in New York due to a mild knee sprain.
Around the NHL
- The Islanders needed a big win against the Rangers to get them going in the right direction. (NYI Hockey Now)
- The Penguins nearly blew a 6-0 third-period lead against the Devils. (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
- Brad Marchand: Selke Trophy candidate? Really? (Boston Hockey Now)
- Colorado is returning to action after a COVID outbreak tonight, and they’re still the odds-on favorites to win it all. (Colorado Hockey Now)
- Patrick Marleau is set to break Gordie Howe‘s games played record. More power to him. (San Jose Hockey Now)
- The Golden Knights didn’t even exist a few years ago. Now, they were the first team to clinch a playoff spot. (Vegas Hockey Now)
Photo: Heather Barry Images