The Philadelphia Flyers will be watching from their couches as the Stanley Cup Playoffs get underway this weekend.
On Thursday, the Flyers got an injury update on their most recent first-round pick, while the Colorado Avalanche clinched the Presidents’ Trophy.
Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
- 2020 first-round pick Tyson Foerster was injured on a scary hit into the end boards on Wednesday night. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers are entering an offseason of change with the expansion draft looming. On top of that, a core shakeup could be in the cards after a disappointing season. We look at five Flyers that may have played their last game in orange and black in Monday’s season finale. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Alain Vigneault was talkin’ ’bout ‘practice in his end-of-season press conference. He also touched on a variety of other topics including Canadian restrictions, wanting a “normal season,” and feeling like he let “everyone down” this season. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Chuck Fletcher will be at the helm in this crucial offseason. On Tuesday, he talked about the Flyers’ need to improve. He said that he’ll need to “be creative” as the Flyers can “upgrade everywhere” this offseason. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers gave out their Team Awards prior to Monday night’s season finale. Who won and who should have won? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Oskar Lindblom was named the Flyers’ nominee for the Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy for the second consecutive year. He deserves it and more. (Philly Hockey Now)
Around the NHL
- Previewing the two first-round matchups in the East Division. Matchups, schedule, predictions, and more. (Sports Gambling Podcast)
- The Pittsburgh Penguins are one of the best teams in the East Division and, as much as it hurts to say, possibly one of the best teams in the league. There is a silver lining for Flyers fans, however: it may be the Penguins’ core last hoorah. (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
- The Islanders have a very tall task ahead of them in the first round as they must shut down Sidney Crosby in a seven-game series. (NYI Hockey Now)
- Bruins captain Patrice Bergeron showed his leadership at practice on Thursday ahead of Boston’s first-round series against Zdeno Chara and the Capitals. (Boston Hockey Now)
- Colorado Avalanche: 2021 Presidents’ Trophy winners. It’s not the Stanley Cup, no, but it’s a piece of hardware that feels pretty damn good right now for Avs fans. (Colorado Hockey Now)
- Marc-Andre Fleury was dominant as the COVID season began and continued some of the best puck-stopping of his career throughout the shortened, chaotic, and exhausting Vegas Golden Knights 2020-21 regular season. Robin Lehner fought injury and returned to hold up his end of the bargain, too. They combined to win the Jennings Trophy this season. (Vegas Hockey Now)
- Bob Boughner addressed what went right and wrong for the San Jose Sharks this season. (San Jose Hockey Now)
Follow and Subscribe!
Photo: Heather Barry Images