Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
- Drop everything. The Flyers may have a chance to land Jack Eichel this offseason. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dougie Hamilton has been granted permission to talk to other teams, including the Flyers. Chuck Fletcher has to do whatever he can to land the top free-agent defenseman, right?… (Philly Hockey Now)
- …Well, maybe not. Dougie Hamilton may not be the team’s top target, but the Flyers have a lot of balls in the air and should be in on quite a few defensemen. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Seth Jones may want out of Columbus. Should the Flyers be interested in the right-handed defenseman to fill their biggest need? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Oskar Lindblom is incredibly deserving of the Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy that he won on Tuesday night. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers are bound to lose a valuable asset in the expansion draft. Who might they protect and who might they lose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers own the 13th overall pick in the NHL Draft after the draft lottery, but should they use it? Probably not. Chuck Fletcher should use that pick as a trade chip to acquire an impact player that can help the team immediately. (Philly Hockey Now)
Around the NHL
OTR: Kraken Lurking for Trade Splash, Avs Headed for Big Shakeup? | PHN+ – (National Hockey Now)
The Stanley Cup playoffs are still going, but the Seattle Kraken are lurking on the NHL trade market. We’re watching the Kraken, and GM Ron Francis put the new team in a position to land a superstar in exchange for a top-prospect selected with the second overall pick.
Speaking of the NHL trade winds and the NHL Draft, as reported on Off The Record before, the Los Angeles Kings and the Ottawa Senators are primed to be major players this offseason. One source went off the record to gush about the opportunity both rebuilding franchises have before them.
And there are consequences to failure. For some teams, failure is not making the playoffs. For others, it’s potentially being a great team but continued exits far too early in the NHL playoffs. See also the Colorado Avalanche. Could Colorado cut ties with captain Gabriel Landeskog? OTR is hearing big rumblings out of Colorado that could shake up that franchise in several ways.
Barry Trotz: Our Guys Were Taking Shots Because Tampa Knew We Weren’t Going to React – (NYI Hockey Now)
New York Islanders head coach Barry Trotz has said he doesn’t take part in any gamesmanship during the playoffs, but it certainly sounded like some when he was talking about the integrity of how Game 2 was played.
So Close; Vegas Late Push Falls Short, Montreal Wins Game 2 – (Vegas Hockey Now)
The Vegas Golden Knights tried a furious third-period rally to tie Game Two late, but ultimately lost to the Montreal Canadiens 3-2, evening the best-of-seven Stanley Cup Semifinal series at one game apiece.
Neely: Bruins Biggest Need ‘Elusive Left D That Chews Up Minutes’ – (Boston Hockey Now)
Boston Bruins President Cam Neely wasn’t beating around the bush when it comes to the immediate needs for his hockey club. Certainly, there are incumbent free agents to be signed and decisions to be made on some pretty important roster players, but Neely listed one particular area of need at the top of the B’s “to do” list this offseason.
Gabe Landeskog, Avs “want to find a way to get this done” – (Colorado Hockey Now)
Some speculation about the future of Avalanche captain Gabe Landeskog has already commenced, not surprising given his status as a potential unrestricted free agent next month, July 28.
Penguins Trade Talk: Analyzing Experienced Playoff Goalies – (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
The Pittsburgh Penguins trade whispers and free agent talk has begun. The biggest Penguins’ surprise of the 2020-21 NHL playoffs was not Jeff Carter or their puck domination of the New York Islanders. Though those were surprising, but the bigger shocker was goalie Tristan Jarry and his soft play. And so, the Penguins might be in the market for a playoff-experienced backup goalie.
Red Wings Pick Raymond Not Part Of Swedish World Junior Showcase Squad – (Detroit Hockey Now)
If we’re voting for the sexiest trade Steve Yzerman has made during his tenure as GM of the Detroit Red Wings, certainly the deal that brought Jakub Vrana and first-round pick to the team wins the day. However, that move must do some more moving in order to lay claim to the title as Yzerman’s best trade in Detroit.
Kyle and JD asked for San Jose Sharks mailbag questions and you delivered. We discussed trading Brent Burns for Seth Jones, if the San Jose Sharks should trade down (15:00), and what’s the Sharks’ biggest off-season priority (22:30). We finish by discussing bringing back Martin Jones for another season (26:00), giving out long-term contracts (28:00), and drafting Jesper Wallstedt (35:30).
Follow and Subscribe!
Photo: Heather Barry Images