Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
- Dave Hakstol was hired as the first coach of the Seattle Kraken. Could he impact their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Seth Jones rumors keep swirling. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers are bound to lose a valuable asset in the expansion draft. Who might they protect and who might they lose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Kraken may have a low-risk, high-reward option to select from the Flyers in the Expansion Draft. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is flying under the radar. Why might they take him, and why might they pass on him? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Shayne Gostisbehere is another option for the Kraken if they want an offensive defenseman, but is it realistic? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Now, James van Riemsdyk seems like the safest bet to land in Seattle, but could the Kraken go elsewhere? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Jakub Voracek could be an option for the Kraken as well. He’ll be one of the best players available, but also have one of the largest contracts. (Philly Hockey Now)
Stay up to date on all the latest Flyers rumors and NHL trade talk by bookmarking our page.
Follow and Subscribe!
Please consider supporting great daily coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers by subscribing to Philly Hockey Now for just $3.50 a month or $30 for a year!
Around the NHL
OTR: NHL Trade Chatter On Seth Jones, Phil Kessel, Blackhawks | PHN + – (National Hockey Now)
The asking price on the NHL trade market for Buffalo Sabres captain Jack Eichel has gotten to the point where rival NHL executives are questioning how Sabres GM Kevyn Adams is approaching the Eichel sweepstakes.
In this week’s ‘Off The Record,’ a rival NHL executive got specific and vented about Buffalo’s Eichel trade ask. The source described it as ‘just crazy!’
Playoff Effort from Semyon Varlamov Should Give Isles Optimism for Next Season – (NYI Hockey Now)
In Game 7 down in Tampa this past Friday, the New York Islanders saw themselves down 1-0 as the clock continued to dwindle. The Islanders seemed to be a step behind the defending Stanley Cup Champions all game long, but it was the play of veteran goaltender Semyon Varlamov who stood tall to give his team a fighting chance. While the final score favored the Lightning by that count, that fighting chance is something that Varlamov gave his team all season long.
Jack Eichel Trade: Should Any Vegas Golden Knights Be Untouchable? – (Vegas Hockey Now)
Jack Eichel is going to be traded. We know that. We also know the Vegas Golden Knights needs a true number one center. As they pursue a deal to bring Eichel to Vegas, are there any players on the Golden Knights that should be untouchable?
Capitals’ Zdeno Chara Receives Award From President Of Slovakia – (Washington Hockey Now)
Washington Capitals defenseman Zdeno Chara continues to cement his remarkable legacy. This time, he added another award to his trophy case.
Goalies to Prospects; Questions & Answers for Penguins Offseason – (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
We are all getting a little impatient for the Pittsburgh Penguins offseason to begin. They haven’t played a game in nearly one month, but nor have the Penguins tore up the NHL trade market, been engaged in high-profile trade chases, or otherwise made a move.
Duffer’s Dabbles: At Least Lightning And Canadiens Don’t Have To Face Red Wings – (Detroit Hockey Now)
Entering the Stanley Cup final, perhaps the best thing the Tampa Bay Lightning and Montreal Canadiens have going for them right now is that neither will be required to defeat the Detroit Red Wings in order to lift Lord Stanley’s mug.
Overcoming the Red Wings isn’t going well for either team of late.
Heartbreaking; David Pastrnak Announces Death Of His Newborn Son – (Boston Hockey Now)
Boston Bruins star forward David Pastrnak announced early Monday morning on Instagram that his newborn son Viggo, who was born on June 17, had passed away six days later.
How Gabe Landeskog could be exposed in the Seattle expansion draft, and how that could be a good thing for the Avalanche – (Colorado Hockey Now)
The Colorado Avalanche have to submit their “protected” list to the NHL and expansion Seattle Kraken by July 17. Sources tell me, that’s about three and a half weeks from now. It won’t be a shock if Gabe Landeskog is NOT on the protected list, and here’s why:
Which Couture Will Sharks Get Next Year? – (San Jose Hockey Now)
Kyle and Erik ask which Logan Couture is for real? We look at the tale of two seasons with Couture and try to figure out which Couture will the San Jose Sharks get going into the 2021-2022 season (10:00) and if Tomas Hertl and Logan Couture should switch roles going into year (20:30).
Photo: Heather Barry Images