Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
Flyers News & Rumors
- The Flyers need a top-pair defenseman this offseason. Dougie Hamilton needs to be their guy. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The NHL Awards were the other night. Which Philadelphia Flyers players might be in the running for a major trophy next year? (Philly Hockey Now)
Flyers Expansion Draft
- The Expansion Draft is just a few weeks away. Who will the Flyers protect? Who will they expose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Kraken may have a low-risk, high-reward option to select from the Flyers in the Expansion Draft. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is flying under the radar. Why might they take him, and why might they pass on him? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Shayne Gostisbehere is another option for the Kraken if they want an offensive defenseman, but is it realistic? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Now, James van Riemsdyk seems like the safest bet to land in Seattle, but could the Kraken go elsewhere? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Jakub Voracek could be an option for the Kraken as well. He’ll be one of the best players available, but also have one of the largest contracts. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dave Hakstol was hired as the first coach of the Seattle Kraken. Could he impact their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft? (Philly Hockey Now)
Stay up to date on all the latest Flyers rumors and NHL trade talk by bookmarking our page.
Follow and Subscribe!
Please consider supporting great daily coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers by subscribing to Philly Hockey Now for just $3.50 a month or $30 for a year!
Around the NHL
Lightning – Canadiens: Stanley Cup Final Game 3 Predictions – (Sports Gambling Podcast)
The Canadiens will look to avoid falling into a 3-0 series deficit as they host the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The Lightning beat the Canadiens 5-1 in Game 1. Montreal bounced back with a strong performance in Game 2, but it wasn’t enough. Tampa Bay took Game 2 by a final score of 3-1 to take a 2-0 lead in the series.
The asking price on the NHL trade market for Buffalo Sabres captain Jack Eichel has gotten to the point where rival NHL executives are questioning how Sabres GM Kevyn Adams is approaching the Eichel sweepstakes.
In this week’s ‘Off The Record,’ a rival NHL executive got specific and vented about Buffalo’s Eichel trade ask. The source described it as ‘just crazy!’
It seems that is all but set in stone that the New York Islanders will begin the 2021-22 season on the road as construction on UBS Arena, their new home at Belmont Park, is completed in the fall.
The Vegas Golden Knights face quite the conundrum with Marc-Andre Fleury. He’s been the face of the franchise since he arrived and is no doubt one of the most popular players I’ve ever seen on any team. Fans love him, teammates love him, broadcasters love him. He’s just one of those guys you want to talk to because he’s always smiling.
Washington Capitals All-Time Canadian Starting Lineup – (Washington Hockey Now)
It’s July 1, which usually means the start of free agency, but more importantly, Canada Day. In honor of the national holiday, Ben Raby pitched a tremendous idea: what would the Washington Capitals all-time Canadian lineup look like?
Two years ago, Zach Aston-Reese smiled broadly. The then-restricted free agent was relieved that he didn’t have to go through a bruising arbitration battle and happy that he was about to sign a two-year, $2 million deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Aston-Reese is again an RFA.
Red Wings Hire Former Avalanche Rival as New Assistant Coach – (Detroit Hockey Now)
Report: Boston Bruins Coach Pandolfo Leaving For BU Spot – (Boston Hockey Now)
The changes won’t just be coming with the NHL roster for the Boston Bruins as there will reportedly be imminent coaching staff changes as well.
Longtime Boston Bruins assistant coach Jay Pandolfo, who worked well with the forward group and with B’s head coach Bruce Cassidy on the power play, will be leaving the Bruins for an associate head coach position with his alma mater Boston University, per a New England Hockey Journal report.
“The hockey world is a small world” – Alex Tanguay on becoming a Red Wings coach – (Colorado Hockey Now)
Alex Tanguay, a member of the Detroit Red Wings organization. If you’d said that out loud in any year from roughly 1999-2004, you might have been committed to a Colorado mental institution for blasphemy. In the year 2021? It’s a reality.
Is It Really Easier to Find Star Goalies Later in Draft? (San Jose Hockey Now)
That is to say, there are gems to be found in any round of the draft. The San Jose Sharks uncovered Pavelski — 1,086 games played and counting — in the seventh round of the 2003 NHL Draft. They dug deeper for Nabokov, 697 big league contests to his credit, in the ninth round of the 1994 Draft.
The Florida Panthers have made an addition to their coaching staff, adding former NHL forward Tuomo Ruutu as an assistant coach.
Photo: Heather Barry Images