Sunday Morning Skate: Happy Fourth of July!
Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
Flyers News & Rumors
- The Flyers need a top-pair defenseman this offseason. Dougie Hamilton needs to be their guy. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The NHL Awards were the other night. Which Philadelphia Flyers players might be in the running for a major trophy next year? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Add Adam Larsson to the Flyers’ list of defensemen targets. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Chuck Fletcher is working hard on a Seth Jones deal. (Philly Hockey Now)
Flyers Expansion Draft
- The Expansion Draft is just a few weeks away. Who will the Flyers protect? Who will they expose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Kraken may have a low-risk, high-reward option to select from the Flyers in the Expansion Draft. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is flying under the radar. Why might they take him, and why might they pass on him? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Shayne Gostisbehere is another option for the Kraken if they want an offensive defenseman, but is it realistic? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Now, James van Riemsdyk seems like the safest bet to land in Seattle, but could the Kraken go elsewhere? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Jakub Voracek could be an option for the Kraken as well. He’ll be one of the best players available, but also have one of the largest contracts. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dave Hakstol was hired as the first coach of the Seattle Kraken. Could he impact their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft? (Philly Hockey Now)
Stay up to date on all the latest Flyers rumors and NHL trade talk by bookmarking our page.
Follow and Subscribe!
Make sure you follow me (@RGilbertSOP) and Philly Hockey Now (@PhillyHockeyNow) on Twitter and like us on Facebook to keep up with all of the latest happenings surrounding the Philadelphia Flyers!
Please consider supporting great daily coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers by subscribing to Philly Hockey Now for just $3.50 a month or $30 for a year!
Around the NHL
OTR: NHL Trade Chatter On Seth Jones, Phil Kessel, Blackhawks | PHN + – (National Hockey Now)
The asking price on the NHL trade market for Buffalo Sabres captain Jack Eichel has gotten to the point where rival NHL executives are questioning how Sabres GM Kevyn Adams is approaching the Eichel sweepstakes.
In this week’s ‘Off The Record,’ a rival NHL executive got specific and vented about Buffalo’s Eichel trade ask. The source described it as ‘just crazy!’
Here’s How Lou Lamoriello Can Keep the Islanders Core Intact This Offseason – (NYI Hockey Now)
With all exit interviews, including that from team president and general manager Lou Lamoriello, now complete, the focus quickly turns to the offseason, which began the day after the Islanders 1-0 loss in Game 7 to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Vegas Golden Knights Owner Forms “Foley Entertainment Group, LLC” – (Vegas Hockey Now)
In response to the rapid growth of Vegas Golden Knights owner and chairman Bill Foley’s entertainment properties, Foley has formed Foley Entertainment Group, LLC. The group will oversee everything from the Golden Knights to Foley’s hotel and restaurant properties.
Six Years After Trade, Oshie Still Paying Off For Capitals – (Washington Hockey Now)
Prior to the 2015-16 campaign, Washington traded forward Troy Brouwer, goaltender Pheonix Copley (now back in D.C.) and a 2016 third-rounder to St. Louis for Oshie. He was most famous for his shootout heroics in the 2014 Winter Olympics but was also notable for his strong contributions on offense and solid two-way play.
Penguins Trade Scenario: How Kraken Could Affect Moves, Salary Cap – (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
“My approach is that we’re going to probably lose a pretty good player and rather than give up a couple of assets to try to try to keep (players),” — Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ron Hextall on the Seattle Kraken expansion draft.
Research Shows it is Not Risky for the Red Wings to Draft a Goalie in First Round – (Detroit Hockey Now)
San Jose Hockey Now writer Sheng Peng offers research that refutes the notion that drafting a goalie in the first round constitutes risky behavior.
Boston Bruins Frederic Admits He Has “A Lot More To Offer” – (Boston Hockey Now)
Things didn’t end as well as they started for Boston Bruins rookie power forward Trent Frederic, but he’s excited at the possibilities moving forward.
“The hockey world is a small world” – Alex Tanguay on becoming a Red Wings coach – (Colorado Hockey Now)
Alex Tanguay, a member of the Detroit Red Wings organization. If you’d said that out loud in any year from roughly 1999-2004, you might have been committed to a Colorado mental institution for blasphemy. In the year 2021? It’s a reality.
Is It Really Easier to Find Star Goalies Later in Draft? (San Jose Hockey Now)
For every Joe Pavelski, there’s an Evgeni Nabokov.
That is to say, there are gems to be found in any round of the draft. The San Jose Sharks uncovered Pavelski — 1,086 games played and counting — in the seventh round of the 2003 NHL Draft. They dug deeper for Nabokov, 697 big league contests to his credit, in the ninth round of the 1994 Draft.
Florida Panthers add Tuomo Ruutu as new assistant coach – (Florida Hockey Now)
The Florida Panthers have made an addition to their coaching staff, adding former NHL forward Tuomo Ruutu as an assistant coach.
Photo: Heather Barry Images