Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
Flyers News & Rumors
- Analyzing all of Chuck Fletcher’s quotes about the Expansion Draft, NHL Draft, free agency, and much more. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Caleb Jones was traded to Chicago, which only decreases the Flyers’ chances of getting Seth Jones. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Elliotte Friedman dropped two very interesting nuggets about the Flyers, including one about one of their longest-tenured players. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers were supposedly among the frontrunners for Seth Jones (Philly Hockey Now), but things may be changing. (Philly Hockey Now)
Flyers Expansion Draft
- The Expansion Draft is just a week away. Who will the Flyers protect? Who will they expose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Kraken may have a low-risk, high-reward option to select from the Flyers in the Expansion Draft. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is flying under the radar. Why might they take him, and why might they pass on him? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Shayne Gostisbehere is another option for the Kraken if they want an offensive defenseman, but is it realistic? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Now, James van Riemsdyk seems like the safest bet to land in Seattle, but could the Kraken go elsewhere? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Jakub Voracek could be an option for the Kraken as well. He’ll be one of the best players available, but also have one of the largest contracts. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dave Hakstol was hired as the first coach of the Seattle Kraken. Could he impact their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft? (Philly Hockey Now)
Stay up to date on all the latest Flyers rumors and NHL trade talk by bookmarking our page.
Follow and Subscribe!
Please consider supporting great daily coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers by subscribing to Philly Hockey Now for just $3.50 a month or $30 for a year!
Around the NHL
OTR: Offer Sheet Drama, GMs Fear Lamoriello’s Revenge & Kraken ‘Poker Face’ | PHN+ – (National Hockey Now)
The NHL trade market continues to be active with chatter but not much action…yet. Could the New Jersey Devils be the one to get things going, and who are they targeting? If chatter has any credibility, we could finally see more offer sheets to star RFAs, such as breakout defenseman Cale Makar, this offseason.
How Close Were Sharks to Drafting Niedermayer? (San Jose Hockey Now)
How close were the San Jose Sharks to drafting Scott Niedermayer over Pat Falloon?
“It was split,” then-San Jose GM Jack Ferreira recalled to San Jose Hockey Now. “There was a good portion that wanted Pat and the other guys were interested in Scott.”
New York Islanders Actively Shopping Players to Free Up Cap Space – (NYI Hockey Now)
The New York Islanders need all the salary cap space they can get and general manager Lou Lamoriello appears to be working to free up space.
Report: After Keith Trade, Blackhawks ‘In Play’ for Marc-Andre Fleury – (Vegas Hockey Now)
What was dead rose from the NHL trade graveyard. What we thought was off was back on as the Chicago Blackhawks finally dealt defenseman Duncan Keith the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for young defenseman Caleb Jones and a draft pick. That part won’t too much worry Vegas Golden Knights fans, but what followed might affect Marc-Andre Fleury and a Golden Knights trade.
Would Capitals Consider Signing Suter After Wild Buyout? – (Washington Hockey Now)
The Minnesota Wild shook the hockey world Tuesday when they bought out Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. With Suter now a free agent, the Washington Capitals could be interested in targeting the left-handed defenseman in free agency.
Projecting the Probability of 8 Penguins Offseason Moves – (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
There are a few moves everyone is discussing. There are a few conversations on the NHL trade front that we’ve hinted. And there are most certainly a few moves that Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ron Hextall has contemplated or is working that have escaped everyone’s radar.
What If the Detroit Red Wings had Signed Zach Parise and Ryan Suter? – (Detroit Hockey Now)
The Minnesota Wild’s decision to buy out Zach Parise’s and Ryan Suter’s contracts gives Red Wings fans a chance to decide whether Detroit’s failed attempt to sign these two nine years ago was a missed opportunity or a bullet dodged.
Confirmed: Kampfer Leaving Boston Bruins For The KHL – (Boston Hockey Now)
After rumors surfaced during the Stanley Cup playoffs that Boston Bruins defenseman Steven Kampfer was headed to the KHL, it’s been confirmed this week. The longtime reserve Bruins defenseman has signed a one-year deal with Ak Bars Kazan to play in the KHL next season, a signing confirmed to Boston Hockey Now by Kampfer’s agent Alec Schall.
Would Ryan Suter make sense for the Avs? If they lose Ryan Graves and/or Erik Johnson, yes – (Colorado Hockey Now)
Most serious hockey fans – and that includes all of you, my loyal and smart readers – already have heard the news that the Minnesota Wild will buy out the final four years of the contracts of veterans Ryan Suter and Zach Parise. The Wild will have nearly $15 million in dead cap space for the next four years. Ouch.
Photo: Heather Barry Images