Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
Flyers News & Rumors
- Will the Flyers make a move before the NHL roster freeze on Saturday afternoon? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Vladimir Tarasenko has the Flyers on his trade list. Should Chuck Fletcher pull the trigger? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Chuck Fletcher spoke at length about the Expansion Draft, NHL Draft, free agency, and much more. We break it all down. (Philly Hockey Now)
- One of Fletcher’s big signings in Minnesota, Ryan Suter, was bought out on Tuesday. Could the two reunite in Philadelphia? The Flyers are suitors for Suter. (Philly Hockey Now)
- A source confirmed to Philly Hockey Now that Brian Elliott will likely test free agency. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Caleb Jones was traded to Chicago, which only decreases the Flyers’ chances of getting Seth Jones. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Elliotte Friedman dropped two very interesting nuggets about the Flyers, including one about one of their longest-tenured players. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers were supposedly among the frontrunners for Seth Jones (Philly Hockey Now), but things may be changing. (Philly Hockey Now)
Flyers Expansion Draft
- The Expansion Draft is less than a week away. Who will the Flyers protect? Who will they expose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Kraken may have a low-risk, high-reward option to select from the Flyers in the Expansion Draft. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is flying under the radar. Why might they take him, and why might they pass on him? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Shayne Gostisbehere is another option for the Kraken if they want an offensive defenseman, but is it realistic? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Now, James van Riemsdyk seems like the safest bet to land in Seattle, but could the Kraken go elsewhere? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Jakub Voracek could be an option for the Kraken as well. He’ll be one of the best players available, but also have one of the largest contracts. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dave Hakstol was hired as the first coach of the Seattle Kraken. Could he impact their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft? (Philly Hockey Now)
Stay up to date on all the latest Flyers rumors and NHL trade talk by bookmarking our page.
Follow and Subscribe!
Please consider supporting great daily coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers by subscribing to Philly Hockey Now for just $3.50 a month or $30 for a year!
Around the NHL
OTR: NHL Trade Market Set To ‘Explode’; Seth Jones, Shea Weber | PHN+ – (National Hockey Now)
The two-time defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning were already expected to be major players on the NHL trade market as they try to become cap compliant again, but could they still acquire a high-end player?
The Montreal Canadiens aren’t the Tampa Bay Lightning, and that’s why the Shea Weber news is not a sign that they’re about to pull a 2021 Lightning coup with the NHL salary cap.
The NHL trade market is expected to ‘explode’ in 3-2-1…
Why Did Gambrell Cost Sharks So Much? (San Jose Hockey Now)
The San Jose Sharks have re-signed Dylan Gambrell.
Per Cap Friendly, the 24-year-old RFA has been inked to a one-year, $1.1 million dollar contract.
“Dylan appeared in his first full-time role last season with us and showed he is a reliable player,” San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson said in a press release. “He played in a lot of different situations and utilized his speed to be an effective player.”
Islanders, Zach Parise Seem Destined for One Another, Ryan Suter Too? – (NYI Hockey Now)
The reunion of Zach Parise and Lou Lamoriello, and the potential homecoming to a team synonymous with his father, JP Parise, would have all the elements for an ESPN 30 for 30. The writing seems to be on the wall for 36-year-old forward to be in orange and blue next season when the puck drops, following the Minnesota Wild’s buyout of his contract earlier this week.
Honoring the Top 5 Lopsided Trades that Built the Vegas Golden Knights – (Vegas Hockey Now)
It seems like yesterday, doesn’t it? The Vegas Golden Knights picked off players, one by one, and GM George McPhee fleeced general managers, one by one. McPhee lined up 10 side deals leading up to the Golden Knights expansion draft, and so many were lopsided.
What Will Washington Capitals’ Final Protected List Look Like? – (Washington Hockey Now)
The first couple of months of the 2021 offseason have flown by. Now, the Washington Capitals are face-to-face with tough decisions they’ve been pondering for a while when it comes to the Seattle Kraken.
Update: Source Confirms Penguins Serious Interest in Hyman – (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
The NHL trade rumors stirred on Thursday morning with reports from multiple Canadian outlets, first by TSN’s Daren Dreger. The Toronto Maple Leafs granted right-winger Zach Hyman permission to seek a rights trade rather than lose him to free agency. It essentially signaled a white flag in negotiations but opened the door for a pig-pile of teams, including the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Detroit Red Wings acquire defenseman Nick Leddy from the New York Islanders – (Detroit Hockey Now)
The Detroit Red Wings acquired puck-moving defenseman Nick Leddy from the New York Islanders in a deal for Richard Panik and a second round pick in 2021. The pick is the 52nd pick, previously acquired from Edmonton.
Boston Bruins Defenseman Kevan Miller Retires – (Boston Hockey Now)
After an injury-riddled last three years, Boston Bruins defenseman Kevan Miller announced his retirement Wednesday morning.
Ryan Graves traded to New Jersey Devils; Here’s what it means for the Avs moving forward – (Colorado Hockey Now)
This is hot off the wire here: the Colorado Avalanche have traded Ryan Graves to the New Jersey Devils for left wing Mikhail Maltsev and a second-round selection in the 2021 NHL draft (No. 61 overall).
Photo: Heather Barry Images