Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
Flyers News & Rumors
- Chuck Fletcher struck before the NHL roster freeze on Saturday. The Flyers acquired the top-pair defenseman they need in Ryan Ellis for Philippe Myers and Nolan Patrick. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers now have an unexpected opening for their protection list for the Expansion Draft. Could James van Riemsdyk be protected after all? (Philly Hockey Now)
- In a National Hockey Now exclusive, we give some details on the upcoming 2021-22 NHL schedule. (Philly Hockey Now)
- We took a crack at who the Flyers might protect and expose for the Expansion Draft, prior to the trade for Ryan Ellis, of course. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Will the Flyers make a move before the NHL roster freeze on Saturday afternoon? Spoiler alert: Yes. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Vladimir Tarasenko has the Flyers on his trade list. Should Chuck Fletcher pull the trigger? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Chuck Fletcher spoke at length about the Expansion Draft, NHL Draft, free agency, and much more. We break it all down. (Philly Hockey Now)
- One of Fletcher’s big signings in Minnesota, Ryan Suter, was bought out on Tuesday. Could the two reunite in Philadelphia? The Flyers are suitors for Suter. (Philly Hockey Now)
- A source confirmed to Philly Hockey Now that Brian Elliott will likely test free agency. (Philly Hockey Now)
Flyers Expansion Draft
- The Expansion Draft is less than a week away. Who will the Flyers protect? Who will they expose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Kraken may have a low-risk, high-reward option to select from the Flyers in the Expansion Draft. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is flying under the radar. Why might they take him, and why might they pass on him? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Shayne Gostisbehere is another option for the Kraken if they want an offensive defenseman, but is it realistic? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Now, James van Riemsdyk seems like the safest bet to land in Seattle, but could the Kraken go elsewhere? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Jakub Voracek could be an option for the Kraken as well. He’ll be one of the best players available, but also have one of the largest contracts. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dave Hakstol was hired as the first coach of the Seattle Kraken. Could he impact their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft? (Philly Hockey Now)
Stay up to date on all the latest Flyers rumors and NHL trade talk by bookmarking our page.
Follow and Subscribe!
Please consider supporting great daily coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers by subscribing to Philly Hockey Now for just $3.50 a month or $30 for a year!
Around the NHL
OTR: NHL Trade Market Set To ‘Explode’; Seth Jones, Shea Weber | PHN+ – (National Hockey Now)
The two-time defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning were already expected to be major players on the NHL trade market as they try to become cap compliant again, but could they still acquire a high-end player?
The Montreal Canadiens aren’t the Tampa Bay Lightning, and that’s why the Shea Weber news is not a sign that they’re about to pull a 2021 Lightning coup with the NHL salary cap.
The NHL trade market is expected to ‘explode’ in 3-2-1…
What We’re Hearing About Sharks’ Protected List (San Jose Hockey Now)
Who’s on the San Jose Sharks’ protected list?
NHL teams had until 2 PM PT today to turn in their lists to the league.
San Jose Hockey Now is hearing that there won’t be any surprises to the Sharks’ protected list.
Andrew Ladd Traded to Arizona as Islanders Continue to Clear Cap Space – (NYI Hockey Now)
It was a hefty price to pay, but the New York Islanders managed to clear Andrew Ladd from their payroll on Saturday in a trade that sent the pricey forward and several draft picks to the Arizona Coyotes.
Vegas Golden Knights Trade Cody Glass for Nolan Patrick; Full Analysis – (Vegas Hockey Now)
Cody Glass was the last of the original three Vegas Golden Knights draft picks, who remained. Now all three are gone as the Vegas Golden Knights trade sent Glass to the Nashville Predators for former second-overall pick Nolan Patrick in a swap of struggling youngsters.
What Will Washington Capitals’ Final Protected List Look Like? – (Washington Hockey Now)
The first couple of months of the 2021 offseason have flown by. Now, the Washington Capitals are face-to-face with tough decisions they’ve been pondering for a while when it comes to the Seattle Kraken.
Penguins Trade McCann to Toronto, Re-Acquire Hallander; Full Analysis – (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
The Pittsburgh Penguins slipped in just under the 3 p.m. NHL roster freeze. With the expansion draft looming and the Saturday at 5 p.m. deadline for submitting expansion draft protected lists, the Penguins trade recouped an asset for a player they feared losing.
Red Wings Have Plenty Of Future Options With Leddy – (Detroit Hockey Now)
For perhaps the first time since he took over GM in Detroit in 2019, Red Wings fans seem somewhat perplexed by the move Steve Yzerman made Friday to acquire defenseman Nick Leddy. In reality, it once again appears that Yzerman is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.
Boston Bruins, Halak Parting Ways After Three Seasons – (Boston Hockey Now)
The Boston Bruins are officially without any signed, veteran goaltending presence to begin next season with the news Jaroslav Halak’s time in Boston has come to a close.
Unprotected? Landeskog circus begins in earnest – (Colorado Hockey Now)
About three weeks ago, I wrote how Avs captain Gabe Landeskog could easily be left unprotected when the Avs submit their “protected” list for the July 21 NHL expansion draft with the Seattle Kraken. A lot of people thought that was insane. Well, there are some unconfirmed reports tonight that Landeskog will, indeed, be left unprotected when the list that they had to formally submit becomes public Sunday morning.
Report: Chris Driedger to sign with Seattle Kraken – (Florida Hockey Now)
According to a report from NHL Insider Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic and TSN, the Seattle Kraken are close to signing Florida Panthers goalie Chris Driedger and would do so before Wednesday’s expansion draft.
Photo: Heather Barry Images