Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
Flyers News & Rumors
- Seth Jones is drawing a ton of interest around the league. The Flyers are among the frontrunners for the big defenseman. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers need a top-pair defenseman this offseason. Dougie Hamilton needs to be their guy. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The NHL Awards were last week. Which Philadelphia Flyers players might be in the running for a major trophy next year? (Philly Hockey Now)
Flyers Expansion Draft
- The Expansion Draft is just a few weeks away. Who will the Flyers protect? Who will they expose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Kraken may have a low-risk, high-reward option to select from the Flyers in the Expansion Draft. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is flying under the radar. Why might they take him, and why might they pass on him? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Shayne Gostisbehere is another option for the Kraken if they want an offensive defenseman, but is it realistic? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Now, James van Riemsdyk seems like the safest bet to land in Seattle, but could the Kraken go elsewhere? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Jakub Voracek could be an option for the Kraken as well. He’ll be one of the best players available, but also have one of the largest contracts. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dave Hakstol was hired as the first coach of the Seattle Kraken. Could he impact their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft? (Philly Hockey Now)
Stay up to date on all the latest Flyers rumors and NHL trade talk by bookmarking our page.
Follow and Subscribe!
Please consider supporting great daily coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers by subscribing to Philly Hockey Now for just $3.50 a month or $30 for a year!
Around the NHL
The asking price on the NHL trade market for Buffalo Sabres captain Jack Eichel has gotten to the point where rival NHL executives are questioning how Sabres GM Kevyn Adams is approaching the Eichel sweepstakes.
In this week’s ‘Off The Record,’ a rival NHL executive got specific and vented about Buffalo’s Eichel trade ask. The source described it as ‘just crazy!’
Here’s How Lou Lamoriello Can Keep the Islanders Core Intact This Offseason – (NYI Hockey Now)
With all exit interviews, including that from team president and general manager Lou Lamoriello, now complete, the focus quickly turns to the offseason, which began the day after the Islanders 1-0 loss in Game 7 to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Recent Contracts Set New Precedent for Vegas Golden Knights Summer – (Vegas Hockey Now)
There hasn’t been a lot of news coming out of the Vegas Golden Knights, or even the NHL as a whole. Generally, this is a down period when teams take time to assess and grade things organizationally. Especially around the Canada Day/Fourth of July holiday this year, things should be quiet. In a normal year, we’ve just had the Stanley Cup, NHL Awards, and NHL Entry Draft. Free agency would be ready to explode out of the gate. This year none of that has happened yet. So taking time away over what is a holiday time in both the United States and Canada makes sense.
Washington Capitals’ Alexeyev Making Progress On Road To NHL – (Washington Hockey Now)
The Washington Capitals have an impressive arsenal of left-handed blueliners, and that includes 2018 first-rounder Alex Alexeyev.
Prioritizing the Penguins Offseason Needs; Immediate & What can Wait – (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
There is a tendency to think everything must be accomplished in the offseason, every need must be addressed, and every lineup spot fortified. The Pittsburgh Penguins have a couple of holes in the lineup, including pending free agent Cody Ceci, another will be created when the Seattle Kraken takes a player, and the team would like to add size.
But what must be filled now, and what can wait?
The YzerPlan: Free Agents Who Could Interest the Red Wings in 2022 – (Detroit Hockey Now)
The Detroit Red Wings’ future isn’t now or tomorrow. It’s probably in 2022-23 or 2023-24. That’s why we aren’t likely to see Detroit general manager Steve Yzerman make a significant splash in the free agent marketplace this summer.
Have Concussions Saved The Bruins From A Carlo Offer Sheet? – (Boston Hockey Now)
Are the Boston Bruins safe from an offer sheet to defenseman Brandon Carlo?
Did two concussions in three months this season and four in the first 50 months of Carlo’s NHL career save the Boston Bruins from the dreaded offer sheet to their 24-year-old defenseman who is set to become a restricted free agent?
“The hockey world is a small world” – Alex Tanguay on becoming a Red Wings coach – (Colorado Hockey Now)
Alex Tanguay, a member of the Detroit Red Wings organization. If you’d said that out loud in any year from roughly 1999-2004, you might have been committed to a Colorado mental institution for blasphemy. In the year 2021? It’s a reality.
Will Sharks Target One of These Goalies Before Expansion Draft? (San Jose Hockey Now)
The trades are coming! The trades are coming!
Thursday’s Viktor Arvidsson swap promises to be the first of many as teams position themselves for the July 21st expansion draft.
The Florida Panthers have made an addition to their coaching staff, adding former NHL forward Tuomo Ruutu as an assistant coach.
Photo: Heather Barry Images