The Tampa Bay Lightning are Stanley Cup champions again. A 1-0 shutout win in Game 5 clinched the second straight cup for the Bolts.
Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
Flyers News & Rumors
- Seth Jones is drawing a ton of interest around the league. The Flyers are among the frontrunners for the big defenseman. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The offseason is officially here. Dougie Hamilton needs to be the Flyers’ top target. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The NHL Awards were last week. Which Philadelphia Flyers players might be in the running for a major trophy next year? (Philly Hockey Now)
Flyers Expansion Draft
- The Expansion Draft is just a few weeks away. Who will the Flyers protect? Who will they expose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Kraken may have a low-risk, high-reward option to select from the Flyers in the Expansion Draft. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is flying under the radar. Why might they take him, and why might they pass on him? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Shayne Gostisbehere is another option for the Kraken if they want an offensive defenseman, but is it realistic? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Now, James van Riemsdyk seems like the safest bet to land in Seattle, but could the Kraken go elsewhere? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Jakub Voracek could be an option for the Kraken as well. He’ll be one of the best players available, but also have one of the largest contracts. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dave Hakstol was hired as the first coach of the Seattle Kraken. Could he impact their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft? (Philly Hockey Now)
Stay up to date on all the latest Flyers rumors and NHL trade talk by bookmarking our page.
Follow and Subscribe!
Please consider supporting great daily coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers by subscribing to Philly Hockey Now for just $3.50 a month or $30 for a year!
Around the NHL
OTR: Offer Sheet Drama, GMs Fear Lamoriello’s Revenge & Kraken ‘Poker Face’ | PHN+ – (National Hockey Now)
The NHL trade market continues to be active with chatter but not much action…yet. Could the New Jersey Devils be the one to get things going, and who are they targeting? If chatter has any credibility, we could finally see more offer sheets to star RFAs, such as breakout defenseman Cale Makar, this offseason.
Is Islanders Jordan Eberle Expendable with Oliver Wahlstrom Waiting in the Wings? – (NYI Hockey Now)
With the NHL salary cap stagnant for a second straight season, New York Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello must get creative to keep the Islanders under the cap without decreasing the talent if possible. Less than a year ago, restricted free agent Devon Toews was shipped to Colorado to save the Islanders money and sign back key free agents and now a similar situation could be developing with Oliver Wahlstrom
Whatever Happens Next, Vegas Made Fleury a Hall of Famer – (Vegas Hockey Now)
The Vegas Golden Knights and then-GM George McPhee bluffed the Pittsburgh Penguins into giving the Golden Knights a second-round pick in addition to franchise face Marc-Andre Fleury. While other misfits needed a chance, Fleury was fresh from a dominant playoff performance that Penguins head coach Mike Sullivan controversially cut short for Matt Murray to finish the 2017 Stanley Cup run.
Where Will Kempny Draw In On Capitals’ Blue Line Next Season? – (Washington Hockey Now)
Washington Capitals blueliner Michal Kempny seems ready to put the adversity and injury woes from last season behind him.
What the Penguins (and Hockey) Need to Learn from Tampa Bay & Montreal – (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
Somewhere on a stone tablet where hockey was founded by Mi’kmaq natives and Irish settlers in the early 1800s, it is written that hockey players must play through injury, play through all aches and pains and be there for their team. Few teams have suffered as many injuries as the Pittsburgh Penguins, and few have fought through more nagging pains than Sidney Crosby.
Unlikely Eklund will fall to the Red Wings at No. 6. – (Detroit Hockey Now)
If you are a Red Wings fan hoping Swedish draft prospect William Eklund might slide to Detroit at No. 6, then your longshot hopes are growing longer.
Bruins Lose Coaches In Boston And Providence – (Boston Hockey Now)
After the Boston Bruins lost Assistant Coach Jay Pandolfo to Boston University last Friday, their AHL affiliate, the Providence Bruins saw head coach Jay Leach head west to become an assistant coach with the Seattle Kraken on Monday.
‘…the offender and not the offense’- Kadri Speaks to CHN on officiating and controversial suspension – (Colorado Hockey Now)
Six and a half minutes had been played in the third period, and the Colorado Avalanche was protecting a 3-1 lead in Game 2 of a first-round playoff series when St. Louis Blues defenseman Justin Faulk, a dangerous offensive threat, had some time and space with the puck coming down the middle of the Avs’ zone. Faulk was gearing up for a wrist shot when he dipped his head and body down some, to gain better leverage on the shot toward goalie Philipp Grubauer. Nazem Kadri then did what they teach you to do in hockey when an opponent comes into the slot for a dangerous scoring chance: Hit him. Take him off the puck.
Patrick Bacon Thinks Eklund 4 Times More Likely To Be Star Than Power (San Jose Hockey Now)
William Eklund is almost four times more likely to be an NHL star than presumptive first-overall pick Owen Power.
Opening up the Florida Panthers Mailbag: Summertime Edition – (Florida Hockey Now)
It has been a while since we have opened up the Florida Panthers Mailbag.
With Florida Hockey Now celebrating a birthday tomorrow, Thursday sounds like a perfect day to answer all of your pressing questions about the NHL’s Southernmost team.
Photo: Heather Barry Images